Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Getting Ready for departure on my nautical adventure


NOAA Ship - Rainier

This will be my home for the next two months. It has been quite the adventure getting ready for the trip thus far. NOAA flew me out to Newport, OR to go through all the medical examinations, background investigations, paperwork, etc. While I was there, I got to take a tour of the ship which was really exciting to see all the equipment and technology they have on board. This past weekend I went shopping for various things I will need for the internship. My site supervisor was kind enough to send me a detailed list.
IF you care to know what to bring on a ship to Alaska (during the summer), here are a few of the items:

- Heavy duty rain gear, both coat and pants
- Rubber boots
- Waterproof gloves
- Warm gloves for shore
- Ski goggles
- Warm clothing
- Waterproof bag
- Pocket knife
- Personal gear
- Non-slip shoes for the deck

I ended up getting more odds and ends than probably necessary, but better to be well prepared I say.
The waiting game continues, and I am hoping to hear back from NOAA on the confirmation of my departure soon. As far as I know, the ship is set to leave its home-port, Newport,OR on Monday, May 14th, 2012. I'm getting anxious about the trip and hope I can get everything done in time.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to wish you luck on your voyage! I am so jealous, but I know it will be a lot of hard work as well. I will definitely be following your progress and adventures throughout the next couple of months! Have an amazing, and safe, time :)

    ReplyDelete