Thursday, May 17, 2012

Underway

Just a quick update while I have a moment. We finally left our home port (Newport, OR) about an hour ago and are heading North towards Bellingham, WA where the compass will be set and calibrated. This should take about another hour. The ship was having a few mechanical issues which is why the voyage was delayed so many days. Everything is fixed now and we are finally underway.
It's been a little rough so far (but I also hear that the Pacific Seas are harder). Luckily I have not felt sick as of yet...fingers crossed that I don't! It's a very bizarre feeling to sit here in the plot room and attempt to concentrate on typing while the ship is all over the place.
I began learning POSPac software yesterday and today. This is a hydrography software that we use to convert raw data from the launches. From what I know, I will most likely start my first shifts as a night processor, taking the raw data directly from the launches and working it over in POSPac. This shift starts at 12:00pm and is quite flexible, depending on how long the launches are out for. Once I get the internet hooked up in my stateroom, I will be uploading photos and videos of my trip so far. I am looking forward to a lot of wildlife sightings (I hear this is a very frequent occurrence), kayaking  if we get the chance, and learning the acquisition and processing procedures of surveying.
That's all I got for now.

3 comments:

  1. So amazing! I just wish I could have seen you off at your bow tie send off party. Best of luck with everything Christie! You deserve the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Na endlich, ich freue mich für Dich dass es endlich los geht. Bitte berichte auch über die Tierwelt, nicht nur die Fische, auch die Vögel interessieren mich. Es gibt ja viele verschiedene Mövenarten die oft ein Schiff begleiten. Toll dass Duch auch in der Nacht arbeiten kannst, das sollte Dir ja nicht schwerfallen. Alles Liebe!
    DAD

    ReplyDelete